Her primary research interests are teaching English as a second or foreign language, second language (L2) education, heritage language education, social identity, narrative inquiry, critical literacy, action research, critical pedagogy, electronic portfolios and technology-integrated language instruction.
Upon arriving at KU, she developed a new seminar in language and identity for graduate students. Cho has published research in several book chapters and Teaching and Teacher Education. She has presented her research at numerous international conferences including American Educational Research Association (AERA), Association of American Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). She received the 2008 Outstanding Dissertation of the Year Award from the Second Language Research SIG at AERA.
- Ph.D., Second Language Acquisition, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2008
- M.A., English as a Second Language, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2001
- B.A., English Language Education, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 1995
TESOL, second language/literacy education, academic and social identities of language learners and teachers, critical literacy, participatory action research, critical multiculturalism and technology-integrated instruction
|C&T||820||Teaching English as a Second Language/Bilingual Education|
- AERA Second Language Research SIG Outstanding Dissertation of the Year Award, 2008
- Frances Davis Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2004
- Graduate Degree Fellowship, East-West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1999-2001
- Cho, H. (2011). Transformation and agency: Participatory action research with bilingual undergraduates. In Davis, K. (Ed.) Critical Qualitative Research in Second Language Studies: Agency and Advocacy, pp. 297–329. In T. Osborn (Series Ed.). Contemporary Research in Education Series. Greenwich, CN: Information Age Publishing.
- Rodriguez, T. L., & Cho, H. (2011). Eliciting critical literacy narratives of bi/multilingual teacher candidates across U.S. Teaching and Teacher Education, 27(2011), 496-594.