Application deadlines: March 15 for summer or fall, July 1 (domestic applicants only) for fall, or October 1 for spring.
- Cover letter of application indicating that you are seeking licensure and the subject and level that you wish to pursue.
- A graduate application must be filed online with the KU Office of Graduate Studies: http://www.graduate.ku.edu/application-process. Since application fees may change, please verify the correct amount when you apply ($50-55).
- One official transcript of all previous undergraduate and graduate credit should be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, 213 Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence KS 66045-7535. The minimum cumulative grade point average required is 3.0; students with 2.75-2.99 may be considered for probationary admission if approved by faculty advisor.
- Strong academic background in the appropriate subject area, with at least a 2.5 GPA in subject area courses.
A: Foreign Language - undergraduate degree in the specific language earned within the past five years, or equivalent (such as native speaker).
B: Mathematics - undergraduate major in mathematics or related field such as engineering or computer science, or prior completion of more than half of the courses listed on the mathematics major list.
C: Science - undergraduate major in one of the science areas, or prior completion of more than half of the courses listed on one of the science major lists.
- Specific undergraduate liberal arts courses are required by all Kansas Regents Institutions for admission to teacher education programs and must be completed prior to admission with no grade less than a “C”:
Two courses in English (ENGL 101 and 102 or higher)
Speech (COMS 130 or 150, or approved exemption based on 2 semesters of speech, forensics or debate class in high school with grades of “A” or “B”)
College Algebra (MATH 101)
Plus a second level Mathematics course (MATH 105, 106, 111, 115 or higher) for which College Algebra is a pre-requisite.
- Three letters of recommendation from employers and/or college instructors who can comment on your ability to complete a master’s level program of study.
- Personal interview with the major area advisor. (This may be done by telephone if the applicant lives more than 50 miles from Lawrence.) Contact the appropriate advisor to make an appointment for the interview.
Foreign Language - Dr. Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno, email@example.com, 785‑864‑9674, 424 JRP
Mathematics - Dr. Susan Gay, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-864-9676, 341 JRP
Science - Dr. James Ellis, email@example.com, 785-864-9847, 346 JRP
Please note: Meeting minimum admission standards does not guarantee admission to the program.
Admissions questions: Lawrence Campus - 785-864-4437; Edwards Campus - 913-897-8421.